Monday, November 29, 2010

Gifts that Make a Difference

Despite my "lets donate and not buy gifts this year!" previous post, I realize that gifts will be bought this year. And don't get me wrong. I don't think that gift buying is wrong at all. I just think it should be done a little differently than it usually is this time of year. And as such, I wanted to share some gift ideas that I totally love, and they are all under $30! These are all gifts that help make a huge difference in the lives of the artisans who create them.




Gorgeous huh? This is the "Ring of Fire" necklace by International Sanctuary. This organization is helping young ( 12-19 young) victims of human trafficking to recover and make new lives for themselves.

I love these recycled bags from Trade as One which works to "use fair trade to promote sustainable business and break cycles of poverty and dependency in the developing world." They "connect you to a story of hope and dignity for the poor."

Also from Trade as One, CHOCOLATE! I don't know anyone who is not at least a little bit of a fan of chocolate. Buying fair trade coffee and chocolate is really important. (Learn the "bitter truth".)

I love these soapstone candle holders made by a small business in India, sold through Ten Thousand Villages. As one of the largest fair trade organizations in the world, Ten Thousand Villages help tens of thousands of disadvantaged artisans in 38 countries. There is literally something for everyone, at a wide range of prices!


I love this kooky "freak-o-bag" from Trade as One. The funniest tote bag I have ever seen that can go with you anywhere till it is needed. I know my little lady would probably play with it just like it is.

These bracelets by Invisible Children are super cool, great gifts for a guy or girl, but they do more than hang on your arm looking spiffy. These handmade bracelets bring in an income for people in Ugandan displacement camps due to the regions unending war. They bring awareness. "Each bracelet is a different color, and each color represents an individual child. These colored bracelets are accompanied by an inspiring short film a child that has been personally affected by this unrelenting war."


Hope these got some ideas flowing. Your shopping can make a difference!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Ramble On...